There are lots of ways you can get involved with Food Allergy Canada! This month, you can attend a support group meeting next week in Halifax and Toronto, take an AllergyAware.ca course, and find out how your teen could join our Youth Advisory Panel.
Upcoming support group meetings: Halifax and Toronto
Support groups provide a warm and caring environment for you to get help in dealing with the day-to-day stress of being at risk of anaphylaxis, or having a child who is at risk. Plus, it’s a great way to keep up-to-date on any new developments in the food allergy community.
There are two upcoming support group meetings happening next week. If you’re in the area, you should check them out!
Support group: Food Allergy Support Halifax
- Date: Monday, Jan. 30
- Location: Sobeys in Mill Cove, Bedford NS (Community Room)
- Time: 7p.m.-9 p.m.
- Topic: General
- Contact Andrea: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support group: Toronto Anaphylaxis Education Group
- Date: Tuesday, Jan. 31
- Location: Edithvale Community Centre, 131 Finch Avenue West, Toronto, ON
- Time: 7p.m.-9 p.m.
- Topic: Summer Camps with allergies
- Contact Sarah: email@example.com
- Click here to register
Take an AllergyAware Course
Take one of our free online courses at allergyaware.ca. Designed for parents, teachers, child care professionals and others, our bilingual courses cover helpful information about managing food allergy and anaphylaxis:
- Anaphylaxis in the Community: What Parents and Others Need to Know
- Anaphylaxis in Schools: What Educators Need to Know
- Anaphylaxis in Child Care Settings: What Staff/Caregivers Need to Know
Our courses are medically reviewed, mobile-friendly, and easy to follow. Each one takes approximately 30 minutes and includes a short quiz to test your knowledge. Once completed, you can download and print your own personalized certificate of completion. Visit allergyaware.ca to get started today and share this information with others.
Attention Teens: Join Our Youth Advisory Panel!
We are looking for new members to join our Youth Advisory Panel (YAP). The panel is a great opportunity for youth ages 13-24 to share experiences about living with severe allergies and to learn from others. As a member of YAP, you can help us create resources for teens by sharing your firsthand experience, knowledge, and allergy management strategies. All while earning valuable volunteer hours.
Being a part of YAP is a rewarding volunteer opportunity!
YAP members are:
- Building a support network
- Contributing to our whyriskit.ca website
- Creating new exciting resources such as apps and videos
- Sharing their knowledge as mentors for our Allergy Pals program
- Attending annual YAP conferences
- Participating in media opportunities
Download an application form and apply for YAP today!