There’s a lot going on in April and May for you to participate in. You can attend a support group meeting (there are many happening in April!), go to exciting live events featuring allergists, performers, and athletes. You can register for our Teen Workshop, and also register for the Spring session of Allergy Pals/Allies. Read on for all the details!
Support group meetings in April
Support groups provide a warm and caring environment for you to get help in dealing with the day-to-day stress of being at risk of anaphylaxis, or having a child who is at risk. Plus, it’s a great way to keep up-to-date on any new developments in the food allergy community.
This month’s support group spotlight is on Vancouver. Read about Stephanie, Elaine, and Sarah as they tell us about their experiences co-leading the Metro Vancouver Anaphylaxis Group.
Check out the support group meetings happening this month!
Support group: Regina Anaphylaxis Awareness and Education Group
- Date: Wednesday April 12 at 6:30pm
- Location: George Bothwell Public Library (Southland Mall), Regina, SK
- Topic: General
- RSVP: email@example.com
Support group: Saskatoon Anaphylaxis Support Group
- Date: Tuesday April 25 at 7pm
- Location: Online session on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sasgsk
- Topic: Travelling tips for those with food allergies
- Contact: Charlene or Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support group: Downtown Toronto Anaphylaxis Support Group
- Date: Tuesday, April 18 from 6:15pm-8:15pm
- Location: St. Alban’s Boys and Girls Club, 843 Palmerston Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M6G 2R8
- Topic: Managing and understanding your child’s food allergies – speakers include Nishta Saxena, a registered dietician, and a paediatric and family nutritionist, Allison Venditti, founder of the Downtown Toronto Anaphylaxis Group and food allergy advocate, and a sneak peek of AllergyBites, a tool to find allergy-friendly restaurants in Toronto.
- Learn more and register at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1940397139522501/ or contact Allison at email@example.com
Support group: Greater Moncton Allergy Education Group (GMAEG)
- Date: Wednesday April 26 at 7pm-8:30pm
- Location: Crossman Community Centre/Kay Arena in the HLS Room (upstairs), Moncton, NB
- RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support group: Food Allergy Support Halifax
- Date: Sunday April 30 from 7pm-9pm
- Location: Sobey’s in Mill Cove (Community Room), Bedford NS
- RSVP: Contact Andrea at email@example.com
Allergy Pals/Allies Spring registration now open
Take advantage of our free program for kids with food allergies who are 7-15 years old. The program includes eight weekly one-hour online support sessions that are led by older peer mentors with food allergies. All of our mentors receive training and encourage positive conversations among the group.
We have received outstanding feedback on our previous sessions and are excited to offer the Spring session! The upcoming session starts April 29th and runs until June 17th.
Learn more and register today! Space is limited – spaces are filled on a first-come basis.
New! The Asthma Society has launched their Asthma Pals program, based on our Allergy Pals/Allies program. It’s for children with asthma who are 7-11 years old. Their Spring session starts on April 24th. For more details and to register, visit the Asthma Society.
Events in May – Food Allergy Awareness Month
The following events have been confirmed for Food Allergy Awareness month. Stay tuned for more events to be launched soon!
Live Event: Food Allergy Q&A – How we live with food allergies.
Hear from a panel of young people with food allergy, Thomas Miles, a CFL Winnipeg Blue Bomber and food allergy advocate, and Dr. T. Gerstner, a Pediatric Allergist on how to manage food allergies.
This free event is hosted by The Children’s Allergy & Asthma Education Centre and Food Allergy Canada.
- Who should attend: Parents/caregivers with food allergy, teens (12 years and older), health care professionals, and school staff
- Date: Wednesday May 3, 2017 from 7pm-8:30pm
- Location: The Children’s Allergy & Asthma Education Centre, HSC, 685 William Avenue Winnipeg, MB – across from Children’s ER
- Register: Call 204-787-4116 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this free event
Live Event: Celebrating Children with Allergies – Family Event
Hosted by Food Allergy Support Durham, this free event will feature a live concert by Kyle Dine, activities for kids, door prizes, and giveaways. This is a food-free event.
- Who should attend: All are welcome. The focus will be on children with food allergy and their families.
- Date: Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 9:45am-12:00pm
- Location: Glen St. Public School, 929 Glen Street, Oshawa, ON
- Register: Contact Adele at info@FASDurham.com
- For more details on the event visit the FAS Durham webpage
2017 Teen Workshop
Our annual teen workshop will feature a fun-filled morning with interactive presentations, lively discussions, and team-building activities led by our Youth Advisory Panel, followed by an afternoon trip to the Toronto Blue Jays Game where seats are reserved in the peanut/nut-reduced section.
Registration is now open. Space is limited, so register now to ensure you secure your spot.