Beginning April 4, 2018, WestJet changed their allergy policy to start offering tree nuts (almonds) on board. Specifically, they noted:
“Individually packaged bags of almonds will be made available to our Plus guests onboard our Boeing 737 aircraft with rollout to our 767 and WestJet Encore aircraft over the next few months. There are no plans to introduce peanuts on our aircraft.”
Many of you had questions about this change. We reached out to WestJet on your behalf to better understand what has changed, and why it has changed. Since speaking with them, they have updated their post to provide further clarification.
Please read their updated post, which outlines that their current practices for managing allergens on board have not changed. WestJet also advised that the new almond snack will only be available to their Plus guests in a basket among various other snack items that they can choose from. Plus guests are seated in the first three rows of the aircraft. The new almond snack will not be served or sold to passengers seated in other sections of the aircraft.
To help you keep safe while flying, we recommend you follow these tips:
- Call the airline you’re flying with before booking and ask what their allergy policies are. Every airline is different, however, most need advance notice in order to make accommodations.
- Always carry your epinephrine auto-injectors (e.g. EpiPens®) with you, in your carry-on bag. Bring at least two for your flight.
- Eat a good meal at home before heading to the airport, bring food and snacks to eat in the airport and on the airplane.
- If you have small children, pre-board the plane and wipe down all seats, walls, windows, and tray tables to avoid contact reactions.
- Tell the flight attendant about your allergies before boarding the plane.
Visit foodallergycanada.ca/travelling for more tips on managing food allergies while travelling.
If you have any further questions about this change, please contact WestJet directly at 1-888-937-8538 (1-888-WESTJET) or connect with them on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet or on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet.