As of September 7th, temporary AUVI-Q epinephrine auto-injectors were made available across pharmacies in Canada. To better understand your recent experiences in accessing devices since that time, we asked you to complete a quick survey. Thank you for providing your feedback!
From the survey, you told us:
- You had challenges in filling your prescriptions for epinephrine auto-injectors
- Limits were placed on the number of devices you received, and some of you still weren’t able to access a device
- Pharmacists weren’t aware of AUVI-Q availability
- AUVI-Q coverage was limited by some private benefit plans (e.g. insurance companies, employers, etc.)
- Pharmacists asked you for a prescription for each device
Because of your feedback, we recommend the following steps to ensure you get access to epinephrine auto-injectors:
- Ask your pharmacist if epinephrine auto-injectors (e.g. EpiPen and AUVI-Q) are available in-store. If they aren’t available, provide them with the product identification numbers (e.g. DIN numbers) so the products can be ordered:
EpiPen 0.3 mg
EpiPen 0.15 mg
AUVI-Q 0.3 mg
AUVI-Q 0.15 mg
- If you have private insurance coverage, check with your insurance provider to see if all auto-injectors (e.g. EpiPen and AUVI-Q) are covered. If the devices are not covered, you can request coverage.
- If you have public/government coverage, most provinces are covering both EpiPen and AUVI-Q.
- You may be required to have a prescription for AUVI-Q. Ask your allergist or physician for a prescription that includes both EpiPen and AUVI-Q on the same prescription, so you don’t have to go back to your physician.
- Continue to follow our safety tips for managing food allergies and preventing reactions.
You can count on us to continue advocating for ongoing access to epinephrine auto-injectors on your behalf. With two suppliers currently in the market, everyone should be able to get devices. We will continue to work closely with Health Canada, alternate providers, and other key stakeholders on this issue.Tags: access to epinephrine, auvi-q