HomeAct now: Help to get an allergist in PEI

Act now: Help to get an allergist in PEI

June 24, 2019

Male allergist prescribing medication in clinic, keeping records, health care

Did you know there are currently no practicing allergists in Prince Edward Island and residents must travel out-of-province to see an allergy specialist? This situation has proven to be extremely problematic for patients and their families.

All Canadians should have access to proper medical care regardless of where they live.

An application to establish the first allergy practice in PEI has been submitted to the PEI Ministry of Health and Wellness by Dr. Hannah Roberts. A native Prince Edward Islander, Dr. Roberts has the expertise and qualifications to diagnose, treat, and provide care to patients living with food allergy.

To help support Dr. Roberts’ application, we, along with the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, have written letters to PEI Minister of Health and Wellness, James Aylward, to request the hiring of at least one certified allergist and clinical immunologist by the province. Specifically, we have expressed support for Dr. Hannah Roberts’ interest in joining PEI’s health care team as an allergy specialist.

Now is the time to act! Help to get an allergist in PEI and follow these steps:

Step 1: 

  • Contact James Aylward, the PEI Minister of Health and Wellness, via email at MinisterHW@gov.pe.ca or phone at 902-368-5250.
  • Speak to your local MLA to explain why having an allergy specialist in the province is important to you and your family. Find your local MLA

Step 2:

  • Share this message with others so they can lend their support.

Step 3:

  • If you live in PEI, we want to speak with you about your family’s experiences with food allergy-related medical care and support. Your voice empowers our advocacy efforts and allows us to have more informed conversations with key stakeholders, like government. Please contact us at info@foodallergycanada.ca or at 1 866 785-5660.