Allergy Safety

How to Report a Reaction

To Report a Reaction to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency

If you believe you had a reaction from a product that may have contained one of Canada’s priority allergens, but it was not list on the ingredient list of the product, you can report the incident to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

The complaint will be referred to an inspector for follow up. The actions following this are described in CFIA’s Food Safety and Recall Process web tool. A product recall is one of the potential outcomes of a food safety investigation.

What to do

  1. Save the packaging and a sample of the product, or any unopened product with the same lot number.
  2. Contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). Fill out the CFIA form.
  3. Keep a record of your emails and calls with CFIA – date and time, name of the person you spoke to, and what they said.
  4. Send a copy of your final correspondence with the CFIA to Food Allergy Canada by email or fax (416) 785-0458.
  5. Contact your allergist for follow up.
  6. Contact Food Allergy Canada if you have questions.

The CFIA takes food safety and labelling seriously. They may examine your product and record the lot/batch number on the package. This number identifies a specific plant (factory) and production date and time.

The CFIA may visit the plant to inspect the facilities and the product made, according to the batch number. If a labelling error has occurred, the product may be recalled.