Attend various allergy-friendly Halloween events throughout the month. Plus, participate in one of our webinars for parents and kids (the one for kids is focused on staying safe for Halloween).
You can also register for a webinar from Asthma Canada to learn more about the phenotypes of asthma. Be sure to check out the support group meetings happening this month and read up on our latest support group leader profile featuring Food Allergy Support Halifax.
Allergy Pals Monthly for kids: October 28 on Halloween
Calling all 7-11-year-old kids with food allergies. Have your kids participate in these monthly webinars that cover key information about managing food allergies. Each webinar is led by a trained peer mentor with food allergies and there will also be plenty of interactive games and activities that will have your child glued to the presentation!
Register your child for the October webinar.
Check out one of our previous webinars to see just how interactive and educational these webinars are:
Food allergy and anaphylaxis
Attend one of our free webinars that provides fundamental information for managing food allergy and anaphylaxis. This session is primarily geared towards parents of children who have been recently diagnosed with a food allergy. It’s also a great session for others who are interested in this topic, or would like a refresher.
What you’ll takeaway:
- What is food allergy and anaphylaxis
- How to avoid a reaction
- What are the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis
- What to do in case of a reaction
There will also be time for questions afterwards.
Two formats are offered, click on the links below to learn more and register:
- 60-minute webinar that is offered monthly: Next session is Thursday, October 25.
- 90-minute small group webinar (up to 4 participants) to allow for more interaction. The small group webinars are offered 2x/week and participants remain unmuted so you can engage more easily. Next session is Saturday, October 13. *Past participants highly recommend these webinars and have noted they are much more confident in managing food allergies, preventing reactions, and treating reactions than before they attended.*
If you have already attended one of these webinars, please help us spread the word so others can also benefit. Please share!
Phenotypes of asthma hosted by Asthma Canada: October 18, 2018
Asthma Canada is hosting a webinar on October 18, 2018, at 1:00 PM (EDT). The presenter, Dr. Patrick Mitchell, MD, FRCSC, will discuss asthma phenotypes and the future of asthma treatments.
While asthma was previously viewed as just one disease, emerging studies have revealed its complexity and the fact that asthma is a heterogeneous disease, meaning that there are many different types of asthma across the spectrum of severity. These different types of asthma are called asthma phenotypes, distinguished through identifiable clusters of demographic and clinical features, lung function and patterns of inflammation.
Dr. Mitchell is a Clinical Assistant Professor with research interests in asthma, COPD, and chronic eosinophilic airway disease. He has made significant strides in asthma research over his career, and was appointed director of the Asthma and COPD program at the Rockyview Hospital in Alberta.
What you’ll take away:
- What are asthma phenotypes?
- How to know what type of asthma you have.
- How can our knowledge of asthma phenotypes be used in treating asthma and severe asthma?
- What’s new in the field of asthma phenotype research
Halloween events and support group meetings
Check out the Halloween events happening this month – some are held by the support groups. Plus, read about Andrea McDonald, our support group leader from Halifax and her journey with food allergy.
- Ottawa Anaphylaxis Support Group
- Event: Halloween Party
- Date: Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm EDT
- Location: Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex in the Hiawatha Park room, Ottawa, ON
- RSVP required: send an email to email@example.com with the number of adults, kids, pumpkins they are bringing and and any allergens outside of top priority allergens
- Toronto: The Canadian Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Foundation (CAAIF) Halloween event
- Event: Food-free trunk or treat event for kids with food allergies and their family/friends
- Date: Sunday, October 28th, from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm EDT
- Location: Stock Yards Village, Toronto, ON – 1980 St. Clair Ave. W. (Parkade C, upper level – in front of Winners)
- Food-free, fun… and FREE!
- a seriously fun assortment of non-food treats
- cool contests
- some awesome prizes for best costume, spookiest trunk, and more!
- a super cool teal photo booth
- Halloween-themed activity stations to entertain the kids
- opportunities to meet other food allergy families
- Registration is required for this event.
- Learn more and register today!
- Children with Food Allergies Alberta
- Event: Teal pumpkin painting party
- Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm MDT
- Location: BriarPatch Preschool – #100a – 50 Brentwood Blvd, Sherwood Park, AB
- RSVP: Catherine or Karen: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their Facebook page www.facebook.com/groups/266184307132703/
To connect with one of our other support groups, visit our support group page. If there isn’t one in your community, we’ll help you get one started.
Tags: Allergy Pals, Events, focus group, Halloween, support group meetings, Trunk or treat, webinars