Does your child (7-15 years old) have a severe food allergy? Would you like your child to connect with other children with food allergies, learn strategies for managing food allergies, and feel more confident managing food allergies?
We are proud to offer the Allergy Pals and Allergy Allies online peer mentorship program. This program was created through the Social Support Research Program at the University of Alberta and is used under license by Food Allergy Canada.
The program is funded by a grant from TD Securities.
The program includes eight weekly one-hour online support sessions on GoToMeeting. There are two sessions offered, broken out by age of the children with food allergies:
- Allergy Pals – Ages 7-11
- Allergy Allies – Ages 12-15
The sessions take place over the internet, using safe and secure online meeting tools. They are led by older peer mentors with food allergies, under the guidance of a youth program coordinator. Once registered, your child will be placed into a group on a day/time convenient for your family.
We have received outstanding feedback on our previous sessions and are excited to continually grow the program by adding more mentors and participant spaces. Watch the video below to learn about the impact this program makes!
All of our mentors receive training and encourage positive conversations among group members. They will never give out medical advice and will curb conversations that may be scary to some children (like details of reaction severity). Every session has a program coordinator listening in, ready to step in if a conversation veers in the wrong direction.
The next session will take place for eight weeks starting September 29, 2018.
Allergy Pals and Allergy Allies have ongoing sessions throughout the year. Please sign up for our Allergy Information Service to receive registration updates for future sessions.
Your donation to Food Allergy Canada helps keep programs like Allergy Pals and Allergy Allies available. Please donate online here.
- Allergy Pals – Parent Guide
- Allergy Pals Beginner Level – Participant Handbook
- Allergy Pals Returning Level – Participant Handbook
- Allergy Allies Participant Handbook
Introducing Allergy Pals Monthly
We have launched monthly webinars just for kids as a part of our Allergy Pals program. Every month, kids with food allergies that are between the ages of 7-11 can participate in webinars that will cover key educational information on managing food allergies.
Each webinar will be led by a trained peer mentor with food allergies where they will highlight a different topic each month, such as birthday parties, friends, school, and bullying. There will also be plenty of interactive games and activities that will have your child glued to the presentation!
The one-hour sessions will be held on the last Sunday of every month at 7pm EST, starting July 30th. And unlike our traditional 8-week Allergy Pals program, there is no long-term commitment with Allergy Pals Monthly.
Register your child today for our monthly webinars or watch one of the past sessions using the links below.
2017 Allergy Pals Monthly webinars
- July 30th – Theme: Birthday Parties. Watch the webinar
- August 27th – Theme: Back to School. Watch the webinar
- September 24th – Theme: Sports and Activities. Watch the webinar
- October 29th – Theme: Halloween. Watch the webinar
- November 26th – Theme: Reading Ingredient Lists. Watch the webinar
- December 17th – Theme: Holidays with Allergies. Watch the webinar
2018 Allergy Pals Monthly webinars
- January 28th – Theme: Valentine’s Day with Allergies. Watch the webinar
- February 25th – Theme: Travelling. Watch the webinar
- March 25th – Theme: Anxiety. Watch the webinar
- April 29th – Theme: Raising awareness. Watch the webinar
- May 27th – Theme: Dining out. Watch the webinar
- June 24th – Theme: Camping. Watch the webinar
- July 29th – Theme: Epinephrine. Watch the webinar
- August 26th – Theme: Back-to-school. Watch the webinar
- September 30th – Theme: New friends. Watch the webinar
- October 28th – Theme: Halloween. Watch the webinar
- November 25th – Cross-contamination. Register
- December 16th – Theme: Holidays with Allergies. Register