- Many different prescription and over-the-counter drugs can cause an allergic reaction.
- Allergic reactions usually happen within an hour but can also occur hours or days later.
- It is important to wear medical identification jewelry (such as a MedicAlert® bracelet) so that people will know about your drug allergy if there is an accident.
- Make sure you and your family members know the names of the drug or drugs that you are allergic to.
- Inform all healthcare providers about your drug allergy.
- Wear medical identification jewelry (such as a MedicAlert® bracelet) so that people will know about your allergy if you are in an accident.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis.
- If you have any signs or symptoms of an allergic reaction, seek medical care immediately.