A gift of publicly traded securities allows you to make a larger gift for less and it amplifies your impact on critical education and advocacy initiatives for the more than the 3 million Canadians and their families impacted by food allergy.
Benefits of a gift of securities
- Your gift of securities entitles you to a charitable donation receipt for the full market value (resale) of your contribution.
- Your gift will result in a non-refundable tax credit that will reduce your income taxes. You can use it in the year of your gift or carry it forward for up to five years.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the appreciated value (increased price) of your securities. Donating securities directly to Food Allergy Canada avoids the tax on capital gains, maximizes the return on your investment and protects the tax credits for use against other taxable income.
Thank you for donating a gift of securities. We are so grateful for your generosity and are available to help support this process to make it easier for you. Please contact Tammy White, Office Manager, at email@example.com or by calling 1 866 785-5660 ext. 102.
How to give a gift of securities
- Contact your financial advisor to decide which of your investments would have the greatest financial and philanthropic impact.
- Ask your financial advisor to transfer your appreciated securities to the Food Allergy Canada’s brokerage account by completing the securities transfer form.
- If you manage your brokerage account online, please contact the financial institution to obtain the required forms or instructions for the transfer of securities to Food Allergy Canada’s account.
- You will receive a tax receipt for the full value of the gift, based on the price of the securities on the date and time they are received in Food Allergy Canada’s brokerage account.
- Have your financial advisor send the completed form to Tammy White at firstname.lastname@example.org so we know to expect your gift.
Giving securities at year-end
Please consider holiday closures at the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and initiate your transfer as soon as possible. Given these external closures and delays with processing times, any transfers initiated after December 15th cannot be guaranteed a tax receipt dated that year.
We are happy to connect with you directly and answer any questions you may have. Please contact Tammy White, Office Manager, at email@example.com or by calling 1 866 785-5660 ext. 102.
The information provided is general in nature and not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. We strongly suggest you seek advice from your lawyer and/or financial advisor before making any decision concerning your charitable donations.
CRA Charity Registration Number: 88720 8676 RR0001