NEW! Register for our September 27th webinar with Canadian allergist Dr. Julia Upton. The topic is “What is Oral Immunotherapy (OIT): Learn the pros and cons of this emerging therapy”.
Now open: Register your 7-15 year old for the fall session of Allergy Pals/Allies. Registration closes on September 28th. Plus, participate in our other webinars this month.
Support food allergy awareness at three different events, find out more about the 2018 Walk for Andrea, the Sweet Caroline Run, and a fundraiser for BC Children’s Hospital. Plus, attend one of our support group meetings and read about Jillian’s journey, the leader of the Dresden, ON support group.
- NEW! Webinar on September 27th: What is Oral Immunotherapy (OIT): Learn the pros and cons of this emerging therapy
Join us for an informative webinar to learn about OIT, including an in-depth overview of the pros and cons of this emerging treatment.
Details for this webinar:
- What is the webinar about: Learn about OIT, what’s involved in the therapy, who it may be suited for, how long treatment generally takes, the possible side effects, and the goals of treatment. There will also be an in-depth review of the pros and cons of this emerging new therapy and time for questions at the end of the presentation.
- Who is presenting: Canadian allergist Dr. Julia Upton who is on staff at Toronto’s SickKids Hospital in the Immunology and Allergy Department. She is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto and is the Section Chair of Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis, Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (CSACI).
- When is the webinar: Thursday, September 27 from 12pm-1pm EDT.
- Who should attend: Parents, healthcare providers, and others who are interested in learning more about emerging allergy therapies.
- Allergy Pals 8-week online mentorship program: Next session runs from September 29 to November 24
Watch this video to learn more about the program.
Once registered, your child will be placed into a group on a day/time convenient for your family. The groups are led by a trained peer mentor with food allergies, under the guidance of a youth program coordinator.
Register your child today for the free 8-week online mentorship program. This program has received outstanding feedback, make sure your child has the opportunity to benefit from it!
- Allergy Pals Monthly webinars for kids
Join us on September 30th to talk about managing allergies around new friends.
Have your 7-11-year-old kids participate in these webinars that cover key information about managing their food allergies. Each webinar is led by a trained peer mentor with food allergies and there will also be plenty of interactive games and activities that will have your child glued to the presentation!
Register your child for the September webinar.
Check out one of our previous webinars to see just how interactive and educational these webinars are:
- Webinars on the foundation in food allergy
Attend one of our free webinars that provides fundamental information for managing food allergy and anaphylaxis. This session is primarily geared towards parents of children who have been recently diagnosed with a food allergy. It’s also a great session for others who are interested in this topic, or would like a refresher.
What you’ll takeaway:
- What is food allergy and anaphylaxis
- How to avoid a reaction
- What are the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis
- What to do in an emergency
There will also be time for questions afterwards.
Two formats are offered, click on the links below to learn more and register:
- 60-minute webinar that is offered monthly: Next session is Tuesday, September 11.
- 90-minute small group webinar (up to 4 participants) to allow for more interaction. The small group webinars are offered 2x/week. Next session is Saturday, September 8.
If you have already attended one of these webinars, please help us spread the word so others can also benefit. Please share!
Check out the support group meeting happening this month! Read about Jillian Kemp, our support group leader from the Dresden area.
- Date: Saturday, September 8, 2018 from 10:00 am to 11:00 am EDT
- Location: St Albans Boys and Girls Club
- RSVP: Allison at email@example.com
To connect with one of our other support groups, visit our support group page. If there isn’t one in your community, we’ll help you get one started.
September 30 in Markham, ON: Walk for Andrea
The Walk for Andrea was founded to honour Andrea Mariano, who passed away from an anaphylactic reaction during her first few weeks at Queen’s University in 2015.
The Walk for Andrea is an official community fundraiser for the Hospital for Sick Children. All funds raised go their Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Program. We’ll also be there to show our support! Join us.
For more information and to register: walkforandrea.ca
October 6 in Rothesay, NB: Sweet Caroline Run 2018
This run/walk is to honour the memory of Caroline Lorette who was committed to her family, her friends, and her athletics. Sadly, Caroline passed away at the age of 14 in 2014 from an allergic reaction to dairy. There is of no better way to celebrate the Caroline’s life than by coming together in community and sport.
For more information and to register: https://raceroster.com/events/2018/19367/sweet-caroline-run-2018
September 27 in Langley, BC: Pub Night for Allergy Research
Come listen to Drs. Edmond Chan and Lianne Soller give a food allergy research update and talk about their vision for an expanded OIT program at BC Children’s Hospital while enjoying a burger, fries and beer!
Elaine Hsu Wardley, one of our parent mentors and Metro Vancouver Allergy Support Group co-leader, will also be attending this fundraiser for BC Children’s Hospital Allergy Research.Allergy Pals, Events, support group meetings, Sweet Caroline Run, Walk for Andrea, webinars