HomeAsk the allergist series

Ask the allergist series

August 12, 2022

Dr. Julia Upton
Dr. Julia Upton

In our Ask the allergist series, Canadian allergists answer your questions on many food allergy-related topics. As you prepare for the back-to-school season, read the questions answered by Dr. Julia Upton about asthma, food allergy, and anaphylaxis.

Dr. Julia Upton is on staff at the Hospital for Sick Children in the Immunology and Allergy Department; and an Associate Professor in the Department of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto. She is the past Section Chair of the Anaphylaxis and Food Allergy Section of the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Dr. Upton is also a member of our Healthcare Advisory Board.

Please note: Dr. Upton is answering as an individual allergist and her answers do not constitute an official position of her affiliated organizations. Her responses are for informational purposes only and do not constitute specific medical advice, recommendations, diagnosis, or treatment. Please talk to your doctor about any concerns or questions you may have regarding your own health or the health of your child.

asthmatic woman using inhaler with spacer in bedroomIf I have asthma, what does it mean for my food allergy?
Girl having respiration problems touching chest sitting on a couch in the living room at home.How can you tell the difference between anaphylaxis and an asthma attack, also called an asthma exacerbation?

Learn more about asthma and food allergy on our site and about asthma in general from asthma.ca.

Do you have a food allergy-related question you’d like to ask an allergist in the months to come? If so, send it along to us at info@foodallergycanada.caPlease note: The allergists in this series answer questions on general topics, please talk to your doctor if you have questions about your own health or the health of your child.


Tags: , ,