We are excited to announce a new program to educate students about severe allergies in elementary schools.
The Allergy Aware Challenge is a suite of resources that educators can use to teach students in Kindergarten through grade 8 about food allergies. With challenging worksheets, fun activities and engaging classroom discussions, the program will help students take food allergies seriously while reinforcing school policies in an age-appropriate manner.
Educators can download the resources free-of-charge and schedule the topic units accordingly within their class time. Those who sign-up will receive lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, student worksheets, information sheets, posters and more.
This program will help students:
- Learn the facts about allergies & anaphylaxis
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction
- Know what to do in an emergency situation
- Understand the need to support friends who have food allergies
- Develop a sense of empathy for allergic students and the precautions they follow to stay safe every day
- Be mindful of their everyday actions and how it could affect someone with severe allergies
These medically-reviewed resources were created with help from our Youth Advisory Panel under the management of Kyle Dine, who is an allergy educator. We are grateful to have program funding by a grant from TD Securities and proceeds from the Annual Sean Delaney Memorial Golf Classic.
This program compliments the existing Allergy Awareness Challenge for High School program. Both are accessible through www.allergychallenge.ca.Tags: allergy aware challenge, classroom, elementary, School